Once we’d planned our vegetable garden, the biggest challenge was plotting and building our raised beds.

We rotivated the land that we’d earmarked for the veg beds, as it was covered with old turf and years of weeds, roots and ivy.

IMG_4654

IMG_4669

We had quite a large area to use for the raised beds and I played around with so many ideas for the layout but nothing looked right on paper (or on screen) it always ended up looking too regimented and formal. I suddenly had a burst of inspiration and did a complete 180 on the whole design.

I went for a very informal, unstructured design to aim for a ‘cottage garden’ look, hopefully with the suggestion that the garden had evolved over time! Suddenly, it made more sense to me. I didn’t want the garden to look too planned, despite the fact that I’d spent hours if not days drawing up a variety of plans on the growveg.com garden planner app.

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 14.01.23

We needed to get all the beds built in one go, so despite all the planning we spent some time mapping them out in the allocated space by using pallets, canes and string (and the old shed door) so we could get a feel for how the finished result would look and also how practical it would be. We made sure we could push a wheelbarrow between the beds and that none of them were too big to reach into the middle for planting and weeding.

IMG_4699 IMG_4705 IMG_4701 IMG_4718

We wanted the beds to be sturdy and rustic; we’d made raised beds from cheaper ‘diy store’ timber before but that was never going to have longevity. Fortunately our next door neighbour had built some similar and directed us to a local timber yard that sold relatively inexpensive sleepers, and even cut them all to size for us before we collected them, which was a huge bonus! We made the beds 2 sleepers high as we wanted to ensure that we’d got a good depth for root vegetables to grow.

IMG_5220Richard, my mum’s husband Neil and our new friend Sam from Selwyn Trees spent several days putting the frames of the raised beds together then fixing them into place in the garden using stakes and six inch nails!

IMG_5197 IMG_5180 IMG_5179 IMG_5212 IMG_5227 IMG_5234The next challenge was to fill the beds with suitable topsoil. Fortunately, when we dug out an area to create the driveway, we were left with several huge piles of soil which was in excellent condition, as it had been left uncultivated for at least 20 years.

Digger action

052-2It was laborious work to move all the soil and we also had to sift it though a makeshift ‘riddler’ to rid it of roots, weeds and even shards of glass that had accumulated over time, but it was worth the effort and left us with perfect growing conditions! The soil did end up being a bit light once it had been sifted, meaning water tended to puddle on top of the soil, but it was essential that we cleared the debris before it was safe to use.

IMG_5269 IMG_5270 IMG_5852 039-2We ended up with 11 raised beds in total, most of them can be seen in this shot taken from the scaffolding round the house (we were renovating the house and garden at the same time)

IMG_6761

3 Comments

  1. Pingback: Designing and Planning a Vegetable Garden | …Happily Ever After

  2. Pingback: River Paths through the Garden | …Happily Ever After

  3. Pingback: Garden Update | …Happily Ever After

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *